Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Enmore Theatre - Enmore

The Enmore Theatre opened it's doors in 1908 and is now the longest serving entertainment venue in NSW.
The Enmore Theatre was the first piece that I decided to include in the ‘Best Inner West’ series. I was originally approached by a lovely couple to illustrate the theatre, it had significant meaning to them, as it does to a lot of people. The Enmore being an art deco design featured geometrical embellishments and lines. I was very nervous about drawing so many straight lines – as I was inking I think I was holding my breath with each stroke.As the lines and shapes of the theatre were so ridged I chose to paint some very loose red water colour shapes for the doors and a few of the lines. I thought the piece might have needed a bit of wonkiness and softening. This illustration is fairly fabric heavy, using an old jumper for the pink, a grey knit for the road/footpath, a little bit of canvas and a gold cardi. The fabric texture breaks up the large wall surfaces, adding a bit of grit and age. I have a lot of warm memories of the Enmore Theatre and the shows that I have seen there, I think the cosy textures help convey this feeling.
The Enmore Theatre is also on display at Sweets Workshop for my ‘Best Inner West’ Exhibition, on until the early Nov along with a few others.

No comments:

Post a Comment