Monday, October 27, 2014

Cnr Wilson & King Streets - Newtown

King St Newtown can be absolutely jam packed, often you are concentrating on dodging the obstacles in front of you (people, dogs, shopping bags, more people, artisan bread etc) and you forget to look around. Next time you are on King St, remind yourself to look up, above the awnings. The suburb is littered with ornate colourful buildings bordering the main st. 

The sketch for the corner of Wilson and King Sts took some time to complete. The detail in the top of the building was quite complicated, I would finish a section, put the sketch away, finish another section, put my pencil down, work on the Enmore Theatre for a bit, then come back to it again.In contrast to the Enmore Theatre artwork, I completed the majority of this piece in watercolour, which again took some time and patience. I used a subtle amount of fabric in some of the surrounding buildings, as well as in the road. I quite enjoyed to process of painting, leaving it for a few days and coming back to it with additions and gradually building up the colour. I finished off the painting with a touch of gold ink for some sparkle.




No comments:

Post a Comment