Thursday, May 14, 2009

First landscape

I created this illustration for two reasons.
1 – A friend who I used to work with in Balmain recently moved overseas. She was looking for something that she could hang on her wall to remind her of home.
2 – I wanted to see if I my use of fabrics and textures could be used to illustrate a landscape.

Balmain has many old buildings with interesting detail in the features... it would do nicely as an Australian street scene.

I spent an afternoon searching for the right composition, and the right feel (Australian).

From there I worked up some sketches and outlines to follow.

Added some fabric for colour, texture and shadow – I ended up using several parts of my brown vest to create some of the shading on the building.

And used some water colour to lighten the density of the fabric knits, and create some distance.

After doing this project, it has spurred me on to do more landscapes like it. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Wowie EmmaJane great blog site, it looks fantastic and it is smashing to see your brilliant illustrative, photographic and creative work here in the one place!!
    You really captured the quirky, refined charm of Balmain in this illustration, looking forward to seeing what other landscapes grab your attention and the inspired direction you take representing them.
    Big congratulations on creating such an engaging blog and getting it out there for the whole world to see.

    ReplyDelete