Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sketching the Mungo Scott Flour Mill

 
Being based around Summer Hill in the inner west, and often riding the train home, the Mungo Scott Mill is a familiar landmark.

The Flour Mill was built in 1922 and was owned by a number of different companies, including Mungo Scott. In 2007 the Mill was sold to a developer, it is now the site of the new light rail, with a further plan to build and apartment block and shops.

I've knew that I wanted to draw the Mill before the development had started, so I took an excursion out to document the Mills public face from all of the sides and started sketching. It looks like a little village, with clusters of buildings in various cylindrical, rectangular and misc shapes.

On the old Canterbury Rd side there is a lot of discarded building materials and rubble leading up to the cylindrical silos, makes for an interesting texture to draw.

The Sweets Workshop annual exhibition 'My Goodness My Gocco' is coming up and I think I might turn some of these sketches into gocco prints!

No comments:

Post a Comment